Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Plug 1 and Plug 2

At the Thunderdome
Dogpatch
Saturday afternoon

***

Hello, my name is Plug1. This is my beautiful wife Plug2. We have lived in San Francisco longer than we haven’t and this is our story…

It was a dark and stormy night. No, I’m just kidding…it was a cold and rainy early morning in March of 2006. It was also my first day at a new job, so I was headed into the Financial District for orientation. In the midst of the morning mist, I got off the 15-Third, and walked down California towards Battery.

As I took the elevator up to the 3rd Floor, I remember feeling nervous about meeting so many new people.

When I arrived at the front desk, the receptionist pointed me in the direction of a big and empty conference room at the end of the hall. I grabbed myself a seat and waited for something to happen.

And the real story begins here: about 15 minutes later, Plug2 walks through the door in cowboy boots and a funky dress. Without words, we acknowledged each other and exchanged smiles. It truly was love at first sight.

A few more minutes passed until one of us got verbal and introduced ourselves. I don’t remember who went first exactly, but it was likely her as I am inherently shy when I meet an extremely attractive girl. Over the next hour we got to know each other as other new hires sporadically rolled through the door and joined us at the table.

Days after our first encounter, I heard someone call my name from outside of my new cubicle. It was Plug2!! Nervous, but excited, I made some small talk and took her email address. A few days later I emailed her and got an “Out of Office” response. “Damn!!.” She was in Puerto Rico, so I left a short note in her inbox.

The next week, she emailed me back. Sweet! She wanted me to resize the photos from her trip and recommend a good place to get her Puerto Rico pictures developed. Ummmm, ok. So I sent her the resized files and pointed her to Fox Camera on Market Street.

A few more days went by, and we found ourselves outside of the office, just after work. Hungry, and bad at these things, I asked “Are you hungry??” To which she replied, “Yeah, let’s go to Shalimar and get some food.” Happy to eat with her wherever the hell she wanted, we headed towards Upper Polk, got ourselves a table, and got to talking.

Hours later, we found ourselves on the 1 AX, headed towards the Outer Richmond (where she lived at the time). She wanted to take a walk down to Baker Beach, and I was down.

We walked and talked for what seemed like hours, but was actually about 1 hour exactly. I was at the same time enamored as exhausted. Our day was wrapping up and I really wanted to offer a kiss before we parted ways. As my nerves overpowered my instincts, I left with a simple “goodbye.”

This subtle, yet suggestive back-and-forth went on for the next two months, driving me (and her, I later found out) crazy.

One night weeks later, after a day at the beach and a night of reggae at The Elbo Room, I finally found the nerve to ask the big question: “So what’s up with me and you??”

Well, you can imagine what the answer was, because in a few weeks from today we will celebrate our first anniversary.

To this day, she remains the best thing that ever happened to me.

8 comments:

Sarah Alaoui said...

super duper cute, i love shalimar.

jeff said...

you guys rule the world. great story, and your work is as inspiring as your tale here.

Anonymous said...

that shit was awesome. i got to get you both up next time im in your city

deb8
lords

cryitout said...

Gorgeous story, gorgeous photos and people. We're lucky to have them here!

Caley Brown said...

Yea i do love a good story. I was totally the same with my current girl friend. Back-and-forths are the worst because all you want to know if the girl likes you.

Glad it worked out.

AphotoAday said...

Well, what an original San Francisco treat!
Wonderful photos! And as expected, Plug1 has his face nearly obscured in every photo...

Sometimes (but not very often) I wonder how different my life would have been if I had married when I was younger... I seriously doubt if it would have worked out -- and it looks like Plug1 managed to snag the most beautiful of the beautiful, so I'll just to have to say that I struck out again...

Seeing them in the flesh REALLY made my day!

Tomate Farcie said...

(APhotoADay : You know what would really make HIS day, is to meet YOU! :))

Great post, Tango, I really enjoyed it!

MELI. said...

this is a wonderful story, simple, local and very beautiful. nothing more blissful that hear from a couple that is in love, shoots great pictures and shares their views with the rest of the local and global community.
thanks for this, +to the Plugs, very sweet ;-)
xo.meli